Baker Diavik - $66,096 - $77,096/year
- Full Medical benefits
- 5% RSP matching
Serving the Yellowknives Dene First Nation, Bouwa Whee Catering is a division of the Det’on Cho Hospitality Group, a 100% indigenous owned organization, providing top-tier, professional camp catering services to Canada’s northern mines. We promote a positive work-place culture focused on growth, teamwork and inclusivity and are seeking a Baker for our Diavik Mine site.
The Baker oversees the kitchen team on shift , the production and preparation of all bakery products, sandwiches and the breakfast line based on the requirements of the day-to-day menu. The baker supervises 6-10 staff.
Our ideal candidate should possess the following qualifications:
- A Red Seal Certification, Journeyman, or equivalent experience is required for this position. Please ensure to include your Red Seal, Journeyman, WHMIS, Food Safe, and any other safety certification when submitting your resume.
- Ability to provide and maintain supervision over bread & pastry production for up to 400-650 people.
- Must have current certificates for Food safe, Standard First Aid, WHMIS, and WSCC Mine Supervisor Level 1, and keep them updated as needed.
- Must have experience designing, implementing and organizing bakery menus, and developing standardized recipes in industrial, hotel, and institutional formats.
- Must have a complete understanding of inventory control and cost control systems.
- Safety system and loss prevention experience an asset.
- Must be interested in conducting apprenticeship
- A current WHMIS and Level 1 & 2 Food Safe Certificates
- Ability to balance daily menu specials alongside existing set menu, taking into account food cost factors, variety and presentation
- Knowledge of the safe and efficient operation of all equipment in the Food Service area of operations
- Able to lead and direct other kitchen staff in the completion of their daily duties
- Understanding of the proper use of all cleaning chemicals in the Food Service areas of operation, and understand the safety precautions necessary while using these products
- Familiar with the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Exceptional Customer Service skills and enjoy working with the public
- Ability to work under limited supervision.
- Concept of working as a team player and have the ability to work well with others
- Ability to work 12 hour days in a fast paced environment
The successful candidate will primarily be responsible for:
- menu development
- the training of junior staff members
- assisting with cleaning duties
- ensuring that Food Safe practices are strictly adhered to at all times
- The successful candidate must also be ready, willing and able to fulfill all reasonably related duties requested by the Chef and our client.
We thank all applicants for submissions, however only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.