The position aims to support the primary caregiver/s with up to 6 children. The CYW will be responsible for engaging with children and youth and implementing activities that are fun, educational, and therapeutic. Child & Youth Worker will be working directly with a group of children in care, who may range in age from newborn to 11 years old. Workers may be asked to work alone or with one other worker, depending on the number of children in the therapeutic group home. This position is 40 hrs/week.
- Plan and implement games, activities, or outings.
- Engage with children at all times: be open, communicative, and supportive.
- Ensure children are supervised at all times.
- Lead activities with enthusiasm and energy
- Respect all spaces in the homes and facilities, and ensure proper care, use, and maintenance of them.
- Ensure all spaces are properly cleaned at the end of each shift.
- Communicate with supervisor, Therapeutic Caregivers, or Social Workers as needed.
- Help with duties around the house. (Dishes, laundry, cooking etc)
- Attending mandatory trainings give by PLEA ( a partnering organization running out of BC)
- Attending occasional mandatory meetings with PLEA, the Therapeutic Caregiver, and the Therapeutic Homes Coordinator.
- Must be extremely punctual and reliable.
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal)
- Strong organizational skills.
- Experience working with children and youth with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder, a trauma background, and various behavioral needs.
- Enthusiasm and desire to work with children and youth and make a positive impact on their life.
- Knowledge of northern First Nations, Inuit, and Métis cultures.
- Strong time management skills.