YWCA NWT is looking for an experienced program coordinator to deliver GirlSpace programming in Yellowknife, NT and surrounding communities. YWCA NWT GirlSpace reaches out to girls with quality programming addressing key social issues facing young women and offers youth the opportunity to increase their awareness about violence and its root causes, while exploring self, personal achievements and build on positive self-esteem and making new friends. Participants are exposed to role models and positive messaging while gaining skills to address various issues they will face, and programming provides opportunities such as community volunteer work, on the land activities, group discussions and activities and other to develop emerging skills, build confidence, and create peer connections. Programming is delivered as both an in-school and after school program, with special events on occasional evenings and weekends. The position reports to the Director of Children & Youth services and works to create a safe, inclusive, and supportive space for girls to learn, connect, and build trusting relationships.
This is a full-time position working 8-hour shifts Monday-Friday. The salary for this position will depend on the education and experience of the successful candidate.
Please forward resume and cover letter outlining how you meet the job criteria to:
Deadline: November 24, 2021
- Develop a program curriculum, and lead weekly sessions including group activities, discussions, guest speakers, activities, community volunteer opportunities, outdoor and on the land activities and social outings for youth aged 8-17.
- Tailor the program material to participants according to age, maturity level, group size, and participant feedback.
- Work collaboratively with other program coordinators and YWCA staff, local schools, local service providers and organizations to plan activities, create networks, and build community resources.
- Organize program materials each week to ensure the group has the necessary materials required.
- Respond to program inquiries and requests for participation from parents, teachers, and interested participants.
- Gather program and participant data; prepare and submit required funding applications and reports in partnership with other YWCA staff.
- Diploma in Social Sciences, Social Work, or Psychology
- Experience facilitating youth-focused programs
- Previous experience/knowledge handling disclosures and reporting requirements
- High standard of professionalism and regard for confidentiality
- Indigenous cultural awareness and an ability to work in a multicultural setting
- Class 5 drivers license (preferred)
- Current Standard First Aid & CPR
- Current criminal record with vulnerable sector completed or willing to have completed
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision and as part of a team
- Current immunization record
- Legal authorization to work in Canada (Canadian citizen or permanent resident)