Bush Order Provisions Ltd. is a market garden and artisan bakery operation located in the Kam Lake area of Yellowknife.
We work to contribute to local food systems, diversify employment and improve awareness on sustainable food production. Our mission is to serve and enrich our community through a seasonal market garden, microgreen production, and sourdough bakery.
We are seeking a motivated youth (15-30 years old) to join our team in the role of Market Garden & Microgreens Assistant under the Canada Summer Student program. This role would work directly with our lead grower and work in all aspects of Bush Order's produce production.
The Market Garden Assistant will help with all aspects of vegetable and fruit production, sales (onsite Farm Store and YK Farmers Market), and provide some kitchen assistance. The following are the main areas of work and in any given week, you can expect to rotate through these areas of work.
Field tasks: Help with a wide range of field tasks related to the growing and maintenance of our crops. Planting, seeding, weeding, pruning, trellising, field prep; setting up field materials or infrastructure; and cleaning and organizational tasks. Assist in maintaining our compost program.
Harvesting: Help harvest vegetables for our weekly Saturday Farm Store and/or Farmers Market. Tasks include harvesting, weighing, washing, packaging and labelling vegetables.
Microgreens: Weekly seeding, watering, and harvesting of a variety of microgreen crops.
Kitchen assistance: Providing assistance with product creation, managing ingredients, packaging and labelling.
Planning, administration, communications: Depending on your skill-sets and interests, you can be involved with a range of administrative tasks to help us with our weekly planning. Tasks may include data entry, social media, and community outreach.
- Be self-motivated, team player with a positive attitude.
- Able to work as early as 7:30 am.
- Best suited for those who enjoy working outside rain or shine.
- Ability to be on your feet for long hours at a time;
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers.
- Ability to lift 20 to 30 lbs regularly is helpful.
- Have previous gardening/agriculture experience, but not required
- Have previous commercial kitchen experience, but not required
- Transportation to the job site may be available. Please indicate in your application if you have transportation needs.
- 15-20 hours per week to 30-37.5 hours per week. Part-time and full-time hours are available depending on the interest, and availability of the applicant.
- Tuesday to Saturday or Monday to Friday (to be determined)
- Early mornings are a must.
Youth Employment and Skills Program Eligibility Criteria:
To be eligible for this Canada Summer Student - Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) position, you must be:
- Aged 15 to 30 years old;
- Unemployed, student, or underemployed;
- A Canadian Citizen or permanent resident; and
- Legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations.
Please email a resume and brief cover letter to email@example.com. You can also contact us at that email with any questions.
Applications are accepted until 5:00 pm on May 30th, 2022.