Ecology North is looking for a Project Officer: Public Outreach to join our team.
The successful candidate will plan, organize, and deliver Ecology North events and communication materials relating to diverse environmental initiatives in the realms of climate change adaptation and mitigation, local food production, waste reduction, water stewardship and nature appreciation. Our Project Officer: Public Outreach needs to be motivated, highly productive and a self-starter.
Your main responsibilities will include planning, organizing and delivering environmental events, as well as developing communications materials on a variety of subjects and promoting waste reduction, water stewardship, local food production and nature appreciation. Projects include but are not limited to Waste Reduction Week 2022, Earth Week 2023, outdoor winter events, and the Young Leaders’ Summit on Northern Climate Change 2023.
The Project Officer: Public Outreach will also write grant proposals for future events, and will have the opportunity to provide direction for future programming.
Ecology North is a small team and we all contribute to the overall success of our mission and vision statements, and contribute to the overall operations of the organization.
Education and Work Experience:
A university or college degree in a related field and a minimum of 1 year of event planning is required. Experience in the North is an asset. Equivalents will be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Strong ability to develop working relationships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Demonstrated strong communication skills, both written and oral. The job involves developing communication materials, educational resources, reports, and public releases.
- A good understanding of environmental issues and how they relate to the NWT at the regional, territorial, national, and global level;
- Experience working on community projects with multiple partners;
- Excellent computer literacy skills, with strong knowledge of all Microsoft Office applications and experience with Google Workspace, WordPress, Weebly, and Adobe Creative Suite;
- Experience coordinating events and volunteers;
- Experience managing projects, understanding budgets, and managing time efficiently; and
- Knowledge of northern cultures.
- Experience working in the non-profit sector;
- Experience working in the north and making connections in communities outside of Yellowknife;
- Experience planning, and delivering activities for youth;
- Skills and aptitudes in technology such as troubleshooting computers, printers, server, and modem issues;
- An understanding of the tools a non-profit organization can use to affect individual and societal change; and
- A valid driver's license.
- Interest in learning about environmental issues is crucial. You are not expected to know everything about our focus areas, but you must be open and excited about learning;
- Be able to work occasional evening and weekend hours with notice;
- Be able to travel and work outside of Yellowknife, on occasion; and
- Willingness to contribute to the overall vision and mission of Ecology North and contribute to the smooth operations of the organization.
Ecology North is a charitable, non-profit organization formed in 1971 to support sound environmental decision-making on an individual, community and regional level. Our mission is to bring people and knowledge together for a healthy northern environment. We are located in downtown Yellowknife, and have a mandate to work throughout the NWT and northern Canada.