Ecology North is looking for a dynamic, energetic, independent person to work as the Office Manager. The successful candidate will work on a variety of tasks in a fun but busy, fast-paced office environment.
The successful candidate will be an experienced administrator in the North, with a keen interest in the local environment and community. They will have strong multi-tasking skills, excellent communication skills, and be proficient with computer and general office equipment. Familiarity with Sage 50 accounting software is a strong asset for this position. The Office Manager is responsible for overseeing staff and ensuring that the day-to-day administrative resource needs of the Ecology North office are met in a consistent and timely manner. The Office Manager is the first point of contact for the public and must be able to represent Ecology North in a professional manner.
Apply by Wednesday, February 2nd at 11:59pm MST by submitting a cover letter and resume to:
5016 50th Ave, Yellowknife NT, X1A 2P3
email@example.com | (867) 873-6019
- Answer the Ecology North phone, administer e-mail messages and direct inquiries to the appropriate person;
- Coordinate regular staff meetings;
- Ensure staff timesheets are submitted on time;
- Assist all staff members with general office administration;
- Lead Ecology North services, such as, rent-a-plate and vermi-composting;
- Maintain the membership database and communicate Ecology North’s programming and events to members through our electronic newsletter;
- Coordinate day-to day office organization by troubleshooting and rectifying technical issues as they arise, maintaining well stocked stationary supplies, improving physical process systems where possible and facilitating or encouraging staff to maintain a clean and organized office environment;
- Oversee and coordinate all current procedures, such as, donor recognition, travel reimbursement and volunteer tracking;
- Work with the Executive Director to review, evaluate and implement an annual membership and fundraising plan that builds on current charitable donations from the public and membership;
- Work with the Executive Director and Program Managers to establish efficient work plans and aid with project management to ensure deadlines are met;
- Collaborate with and provide mentorship and support to staff when needed;
- Assist the Executive Director with the hiring process including updating contracts, conducting interviews and onboarding new staff;
- Schedule exit interviews with outgoing staff and the Executive Director;
- Be an active member of the Ecology North Human Resource committee with staff and board members; and
- Coordinate the annual AGM.
Financial Administration Reporting
- Maintain up-to-date bank deposits and print the deposit sheet;
- Track petty cash and ensure its proper documentation and timely bank deposit;
- Collect and compile invoices and receipts for the bookkeeper;
- Track donations and memberships;
- Track accounts payable and accounts receivable;
- Confirm filing of monthly remittance, annual Charity Return, and annually with Corporate Registries;
- Approve the budgets in final reports before submission to funders as per contribution agreements;
- Work cooperatively with Ecology North staff and board and/or auditors to ensure procedures and reporting systems follow good accounting standards;
- Review each project’s timeline and budget quarterly, and ensure projects are on track;
- Coordinate cheque signing and cheque distribution.
Education and Work Experience
A University degree with courses in finance and administration, human resources or management; or equivalent experience. Work experience with a non-governmental organization (NGO), preferably based in the NWT or northern Canada.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
- Experience working in the non-governmental sector in the Northwest Territories;
- Experience managing staff members, understanding budgets and managing time efficiently;
- Knowledge of northern and Indigenous cultures;
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral;
- Knowledge of tools non-profit organizations can use to affect individual and societal change;
- Experience with Sage 50 accounting software;
- Excellent computer literacy skills, with strong knowledge of all Microsoft Office and Adobe applications; and experience with Google Drive, WordPress, Weebly, and Zoom
- An understanding of environmental issues and how they relate to the north at a regional, territorial, national, and international level;
- Experience with QuickBooks or other accounting software;
- A valid drivers’ license.
Ecology North is a charitable, non-profit organization that was formed in 1971 to support sound environmental decision-making on an individual, community and regional level. Our mission is to bring people and knowledge together for a healthy northern environment. We are located in downtown Yellowknife, and have a mandate to work throughout the Northwest Territories (NWT) and northern Canada